Friday, November 30, 2007

I Made a Muslin!

I decided I wanted to do something simple to get ready for the challenge of the plaid dress, so I pulled this pattern out and made a muslin. I don't have a picture yet, because I'm at home alone, but this weekend I'll get one of the kids to take a picture to share. I made view C, which is the black and white version on the left. My buddy, Angie, calls this dress the "Duro That Wouldn't Die". And she's right. It is kind of "Duro-esque". It's a loose-fitting, pullover dress with contrast front bands and a contrast sash to cinch it in under the bust. This dress, however, has a little bit more structure, and it's a bit more modest and appropriate for work. Yes, I'm talking about the neckline.

I'm happy to report that the dress is easy and quick to make. There are no real challenges here. I was worried about fit, but I only need to do a few minor adjustments before making the real dress. After the Great Duro Disaster of '05 (my Duro turned out big enough to fit my husband- like an ugly maternity top- even though I followed the measurement chart) I was afraid this dress would run big, after all, it's a pullover- you have to be able to get in and out of it over your head. It doesn't. I think the ease is just right... at least for me.

I can't wait to get started on the real dress this weekend. I'll share more as I go along.

No comments: