Friday, March 18, 2011

Vogue 8685- Getting My Purple On

I finished hemming V8685 late last night, and my teenage photographer was pressed into service this morning.
I first fell in love with this pattern shortly after the September issue of Burda Style came out with the fabulous cover dress featuring all of that unique horizontal seaming. I thought this dress, with its curved hip yoke and pieced midsection had a similar vibe to it, but was different enough to make it worth trying. (And it didn't have to be traced!)

I made the short sleeve, narrow skirted view using this fabulous purple Ponte di Roma knit that I picked up at Joann's. I cut a 16 from shoulder to midriff and an 18 from the midriff down. I assembled the entire front of the dress and the entire back, and then basted the side seams to check fit.

There is a lot of shaping in those side seams. I had to take out some of the high hip curve because I had some bubbling along the sides. I ended up re-basting the sides at least a dozen times before I decided it was good enough and just serged. Here you can see some of my basting stitches:


If I made this again, I would just cut a 16 all the way down to the hip and then ease out to a size 18. Here is the back:


As you can see, I made a major change and left out the back zipper completely. I considered cutting the bodice and skirt back on the fold like I did the back midriff and yoke, but decided not to because there is quite a bit of shaping in the center back seams and I didn't want to mess up the fit. Because I left out the zipper and the dress needs to stretch to be pulled over my head, I also had to omit the topstitching. I was afraid I would break the topstitching thread if I stretched it too much. I think the curved seaming looks fine without it.
I used the neck facing piece provided in the pattern to finish the neck. I just sewed the ends together and sewed it on in the round.
All the seams are neatly serged inside. I stretched the neckline out a bit when I sewed the facing on. The Ponte knit is rather thick once you get several layers under the presser foot, especially when you get to the seam allowances. I did my best to steam it back into place, but I do have some gaposis at the back neckline. I'm hoping a trip through the washer and dryer will help.

The pattern provided a small facing piece to finish the underarms, too. I was concerned about bulk, so I used a scrap of purple broadcloth cut to fit, instead of the Ponte. It worked perfectly:

I almost wish I had tried it on the neckline, but I was concerned that I would need the stretch of the knit. Oh well.

All in all, I'm pleased with this dress and I'll be wearing it to church on Sunday to road test it. I guess I might make it again, after all there are other sleeve and skirt options in the envelope, but right now I'm ready to move on to other patterns. Specifically the Burda Style faux wrap dress.

12 comments:

Karin said...

You look fantastic! This pattern really shows off your hourglass figure. The colour is great too! Perfect for the end of winter when we all need a lift.

Debi said...

Love this dress! I fell in love with that September Burda dress as well (haven't yet made it up). This looks fabulous on you and I love the color!

Julia said...

You look amazing in this gorgeous purple dress!

Sharon Sews said...

Wow! You look stunning in this dress! I absolutely love it. Of course it doesn't hurt that it's purple, only the best color ever

Venus de Hilo said...

Gorgeous dress! Both the fit and the color are fantastic, it's a great style on you.

gwensews said...

Very pretty dress. Looks like you got a perfect fit. Good job!

Maria (viola33) said...

Gorgeous dress, fit and colour are perfect!

Kyle said...

Very pretty dress! Love your pose in the last photo!

Vicki W said...

It's a great dress!

angie.a said...

haha! LOVE the last photo! Are you singing some ELO or what? :P The dress is gorgeous of course. Beautiful color on you too.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is a great dress on you and LOVE the color!

Adrienne said...

You look great! Beautiful dress!