Thursday, October 21, 2010

Simplicity 2836- Getting My Money's Worth

Well, I guess this pattern qualifies as a TNT now. I've made the boy's version twice for my son, and this is the second girl's version. I just love it when I can use a pattern over and over. It makes me really feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of it.

This time I used the cap sleeves and the applied front trim (again.) I originally planned on using a contrasting yellow fabric to make the shoulder yokes, but I got to looking at my fabrics and trims, and they really wanted to be this version. Sometimes you just have to listen to your materials when they speak.

Everything you see here is from stash (yay!) except the white "pansy" lace. I found that the last time I went to Hancock's. I thought it was perfect for this fabric.

The Princess specially requested that the trim be applied "round" as opposed to square on this one. I drew the original placement lines with chalk and then traced around a plastic lid to round the corners off. Worked like a charm. It gives the shirt a whole different look.

Here's the back. Nothing special- just two vertical darts that you can't really see in the photo.
I used a bias facing on the hem and on the sleeves. The pattern actually includes a piece for the sleeve facing, which I used. The instructions would have you sew it on single thickness, press everything to the inside, then fold the other edge under and stitch. That seemed too fiddly for me so I just folded it in half, pressed, sewed it on (raw edges together,) pressed it to the inside, and then stitched it down close to the fold. It worked fine.

I like this little calico print. I think I got it at Walmart- years ago, back when the local store had a decent fabric section. I originally planned to make a little bishop dress smocked in yellow, purple, and turquoise. I liked that the fabric has a black background, and I wanted the challenge of making a "darker" fabric work for a baby dress. Unfortunately, I never got around to it, but it's okay because the Princess is very happy with this shirt now.

I'm glad she likes it because I just cut out another version today (with shoulder yokes and pockets) and I've got several more pieces of fabric pulled out for a couple more versions. I also pulled out some rocketship fabric for my son. I'll be making a larger version for him, too. It's a long weekend for me, so maybe I'll actually make some progress on them.

How about you? What are you up to?

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Simplicity 2836- The High School Musical Shirt

I spent most of this past weekend making this little blouse for the Princess to make up for the stupid tunic that turned out too small. Please excuse the crappy photos. The sun was going down and the Princess wasn't feeling much like modeling.

This is View D, the girl's short sleeve version with sleeve band ties and applied trim.

I really like the way this pattern has you apply the trim right onto the front pieces. It looks like a yoke, but it's not. You simply mark your placement lines, pin (or baste, or use Wash Away Wonder Tape) and stitch it down. There are no angled seams to worry about, and you don't have to worry about matching the fabric like you would have to do if it was a separate yoke.
I pinned my lace and then stitched along the header. I hand basted the rick rack (for better control) and then used a zig zag stitch to sew it down. It was easy!

You can also see in the photo above that I added mini piping along the front bands. The pattern doesn't call for this, but I thought it added a little extra pop.

Here is a shot of the sleeve band. The sleeve is gathered onto the band, and the band extends on both ends to form the ties. It took a little extra time to make them, but they weren't difficult and they are cute.

Here is the back. This pattern is for boys and girls. I made the boy's version a couple of years ago and was very pleased with it. The boy's and girl's versions use the same main pieces, you simply omit the darts (two in front and two in back) for the boy's.

This time I went with my gut and sewed the size 10. I'm glad I did. The pattern includes sizes 8 through 16. I have another copy of this one, so I'm thinking about making a larger one for my son.

I'm pleased with the finished blouse and the Princess is, too. I've already prepped some fabric for View E (cap sleeves, shoulder yokes, and front pockets) so hopefully you'll be seeing that one soon.
Happy Sewing!