Thursday, October 11, 2007

Progress Report... and a Sneak Preview

The smocked dress is coming right along. It's all put together except for the sleeves, sashes and side seams. The sleeves are gathered to the arm bands, they just need to be attached to the dress. Construction is going smoothly. I did try one new thing with this project. I interfaced the entire front yoke. I believe it was Gail Doane who suggested this in an issue of AS&E. She said that it would help the yoke support the weight and bulk of the smocked bodice and would help to prevent that annoying ridge that can sometimes form where the seam allowance presses against the back of the yoke piece. I have to say, it's a great idea. I will probably do this from now on. The interfacing added just enough extra body to the front yoke piece so that it went on to the bodice like a dream. I have never attached a yoke so quickly, easily, and without any fuss at all.
I hope to have the dress completed and have some pictures to share this weekend.


My next project will be for me:


This is one of the new Simplicity patterns, S3556. I think I'll be making the dress on the lower right, the purple print dress, although I'm really liking the one on the upper right, too. The one in the photo doesn't do much for me. I keep thinking "Christmas Elf" looking at that red dress with all that velvet trim. Anyway, I have a cool print fabric already picked out, it's just a matter of cutting and sewing.

No comments: