Sunday, October 7, 2007

B is for Bullion

The bullion roses are done. Whew! I really hate making them, but they do add so much to an otherwise plain smocked bodice. This was also my first time to make couched bullion leaves. They were pretty easy. Just time consuming like the roses.

Now with the embroidery done, the next step was to mark the armholes on the bodice and cut them out. I use my blocking guide to trace the armholes with a fabric marker. Then I use my machine to straight stitch right inside the marking. I go back and run a narrow zig-zag stitch right over the straight stitch.


This is to stabilize the armhole edge before it's cut out. The stitching needs to be right inside the marked line because I'm going to cut the armhole out just inside the blue line. The stitching will be left and will end up being in the armhole seam allowance.


This is the armhole after it's cut out. Notice I left my top two pleating threads intact, just in case I need to use them to help me position the pleats when I sew the piping and yoke to the top of the bodice.


And here is the bodice- ready to be made into a Basic Square Yoke dress. I've got my fingers crossed that I can get enough time at the kitchen table today to cut out the rest of the dress.

2 comments:

Juliane said...

Oh, this is so beautiful!

LauraLo said...

This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen! Bravo for that! And those bullion roses, I must learn to embroider those, just found myself a nice tutorial