The real prom dress adventure is just getting started. We started cutting the sequined fabric today.
We made a successful muslin a couple of weekends ago out of some knit from stash. I added a couple of inches to the skirt length and graded from a 6 at the shoulder/bust to a 12 at the waist/hip. The fit was pretty close to perfect. I will nip the waist in to a size 10 for the finished dress and I will move the top of the slit up about 1/2" to compensate for the Princess's looong legs and the length I added to the muslin.
I can't put it off any longer though. I'm going to have to jump in and start working with the sequins. So far, it's not that bad. I was able to cut the bodice and the drape out pretty easily. I will need new scissors when all is said and done, but the cutting wasn't too bad. The fabric behaved like a dream- it didn't shift or shimmy at all! I was even able to get the reinforcing stitches sewn in where the drape is going to be attached and I sewed the shoulder seam. No issues at all- the fabric went right through the machine like it wanted me to actually enjoy sewing it. The sequins are really tiny and they are sewed on. All those bits of debris on the cutting mat and the pattern piece in the photo are sequins, or pieces of sequins from the cutting process. The sewing room is going to need a serious vacuuming when this project is over.
I had to stop for the evening, but I plan to work on this next weekend and the following week. I took spring break off from work to spend time with the kids and get this project done! I gotta hurry though because prom is coming soon on March 30!