Saturday, October 13, 2007
The smocked dress is done. Whew! I'm so glad it's finished.
The Princess gave it her seal of approval, which is a good thing, but she was going to wear it anyway, even if she didn't like it. I still need to press it a little bit so the collar will lay down nicely and to get all the wrinkles out of the skirt from where it was wadded up while I finished up sewing the buttonholes by machine.
The smocking plate and the dress pattern are from AS&E, although from two separate issues. I added the arm bands myself. I wanted to have a wide white band to match the collar, piped on the top and the bottom. I love the way they turned out.
I made a size five because in my experience, AS&E patterns run a little bit large. The fit is great- not too big, but roomy enough to be wearable for a good while. I added two one inch growth tucks to the skirt so that as the princess gets taller, we can let them out and get a little more wear out of the dress.
Okay, one project down, now it's off to the next one!