Monday, July 23, 2007

Not So Sure About This One

This is Butterick 4985. I'm not sure yet what I think of it. I wore it to work today and I got several compliments, but I was constantly tugging on it. I think I need to fine tune some more. I made a straight 16 with a FBA. I probably could use a smidge more ease below the waist. I don't think I need to go all the way up to the next size, but maybe I just need to taper out a little to a narrower seam allowance. I wouldn't mind just a little bit more length either. As for the top... what can I say? I think the shoulder seams are too long. I'd like to see the sleeve seam sit up about a quarter inch higher on my shoulder. There's also a lot of room through the top of the blouse. It may be time to go down to a size 14 as my base pattern. My high bust measurement falls smack dab between the 14 and the 16, and I always cut the 16 because, well, I'm used to just having to wear a bigger size. Maybe I need to rethink this. In any case, it's a quick and easy pattern. I love the underbust gathers- that means no darts to fuss with, and the princess seams on the lower portion make it easy to adjust fit also.
This fabric is a gorgeous Asian print quilting cotton in shades of purple, teal, cream, and metallic gold. The photo just doesn't do it justice. I'm thinking if I make this again, I might add piping in the underbust seam, and maybe along the front edges. I was imagining this blouse with black piping and a black collar. Could be interesting....

I pleated two dresses this weekend, and I intend to start smocking tonight. The first dress is going to be a BSY. The second is an adorable pink seersucker sundress with smocking at the waist. There will be bullion roses involved, but not too many, so it shouldn't be too bad. I can't wait to share!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just recently bought this pattern. If it looks even half as good on me, I'll be ecstatic...