Friday, May 25, 2007

Style Cats!

Okay, without further ado, here is Style Cats!

This is Simplicity 5580, View C, in a size seven. The front of the dress is cute, but it's the back that makes it fabulous:

I love the cascading ruffles and the adorable bow in back. To me it makes the dress! This is the second time I have sewn this dress. I made it last year out of a cute Hello Kitty print and pink cotton with white polka dots. It was absolutely adorable, but Miss Savannah outgrew it over the school year, so it was time for a new one. This fabric was perfect. It's Style Cats by Michael Miller. I got it and the coordinating aqua swirl print at my local quilt store. It's perfect for my cat-loving princess.

I made several changes to the pattern. I hate facings, so I eliminated the facing around the neck and lined the bodice instead. Because the print is so bold, I left off the pockets. I also omitted the piping around the neck and down the front and inserted a half inch ruffle instead. I'm pleased with the way it looks. I kind of wish I had also added some pink mini-piping, but at the time I was concerned about bulk, so I just did the ruffle. Looking at the finished dress, I think I could have done piping also, I just would have had to trim really well.

This pattern goes up to a size eight, so I am sure I will make it again. Although this size seven is plenty roomy so Savannah should be able to wear it for a while. I think I might try one of the sundress versions. This pattern offers lots of opportunities for design experimentation. I'd like to use the pockets next time. I think they could add a cute pop of interest on the front of the dress.


1 comment:

angie.a said...

I love this! I haven't seen that fabric, Lu would would be thrilled with anything kitties :D I have that pattern too...alas she outgrew it before I ever made it. snif.