Saturday, April 12, 2008

Sneak Peek

Here's a sneak peek at the finished Golden Sands top.


I'm still working on the skirt, so I will wait until the outfit is complete before doing a review. I'm just so happy to be done with this. It turned out rather cute and the Princess loves it, but it turned into an ordeal before all was said and done. Don't you just love it when a seemingly simple project turns into a nightmare? The pattern itself is okay, it was the fabric I used- cheap Walmart broadcloth- which caused all the problems. I tried every different type and size of needle I own trying to get this little top constructed, and none of them worked very well. This fabric is like iron! I should have known there would be problems when I bent a pleater needle trying to get this pleated, but I went right on ahead. It wasn't until all the smocking and embroidery was done and I tried to attach the front binding to the smocked area that the real problems began. I kept getting skipped stitches. And not just one or two or even three skipped stitches in a row- I'm talking an inch or two of skipped stitches! I was afraid I'd never get the binding attached. I was able to sew the fabric okay when there were just two or three flat layers to sew through, but the smocked area and anywhere where there were seam allowances was almost impossible. When I got to the straps I was almost in tears. The only reason I didn't toss this top in the trash and start over was the fact that I had spent all that time on the smocking and I felt like I had to make it work. I was able to get the straps attached- after about three or four passes through the sewing machine- but what should have been a simple matter of folding the straps over on themselves and topstitching to hide the raw edges turned into an aggravating bout of handsewing. Ugh! I will never use this fabric again. In fact, I took two other pieces of it out of my stash and just tossed it in the garbage. I don't even want to fight with this stuff to make a muslin.


In spite of all the aggravation, I'm pretty pleased with this little top. The smocking plate is Roseanne, by Ellen McCarn, smocked in charcoal and silver grey with pink cable rosettes and green lazy daisy leaves. I'm waiting for the weather to get just a little bit warmer and then I will take some pictures of the Princess wearing her new top.

In other news, Simplicity 3794 is done and is a success. I'll try and take pictures tomorrow after church. I may make this one again. It's simple, quick, and I think it's going to be cute and comfortable. And now I'm off to get back to work on the Golden Sands skirt.

6 comments:

Tamara said...

Your top is adorable. I love the smocking design. I know what you mean about dealing with nasty cheap fabric. I am using some now and am not having very much fun. I hope that the skirt is a bit easier for you.

Juliane said...

Oh, how darling! What a sweet, beautiful little thing.
Like you, I've learned the hard way to use good fabric. Can't wait to see the skirt!

Shannon said...

Thanks, y'all. It's so true about the cheap fabric. The worst part is that I knew it when I started and I went ahead and used it anyway. Oh, well. I've learned my lesson! Luckily the skirt is a nice 100% quilting cotton. It should smock and sew like a dream.

Shannon F

Cindy said...

Shannon.....the top is precious. If you had not mentioned your difficulties I would not know it based on the end result. It looks great. But like you....I would have thrown out the remaining fabric in stash too. Life's too short to deal with cheap fabric that creates more issues for you! Can't wait to see the skirt.

Blakely said...

The top looks great.

jemima bean said...

Wow! I hate to say it, but I think it was worth all the aggravation :P It looks PERFECT! That smocking plate is awesome.

I can't wait to make this for Lu!