Saturday, April 19, 2008
My Little Astronaut
This is my son, Bryan, in his new Astronaut shirt. I used Simplicity 5581 and a 100% cotton astronaut border print that I'm pretty sure I picked up at Hancock Fabrics last year. Bryan likes his shirt, but we both agree it's a little bit too small. It's kind of odd, because we measured him carefully and used the correct size according to the back of the pattern envelope. The pattern has boys' sizes S-L and mens' sizes S-XL. We used the boys' Large. The shoulder seams seem to be in the right place, but I think the sleeves are too short and the shirt length is definately too short. Bryan says that the shirt is too tight if he bends over or raises his arms. Translation: not enough ease. So this pattern is pretty much useless for us because it jumps from this size to mens' Small, which is way too big for Bryan. We'll be searching my stash for a new pattern for our next project. I've made lots of boys' shirts and I know there are more suitable patterns we can use. Aside from the size issues, this shirt is quick and easy. There are only four pattern pieces- five if you use the patch pocket. You could easily make this in an evening. If you have a little boy who is smaller than a size 8 RTW, go for it!