Monday, August 27, 2007

I'm Still Here

Wow, it's been awhile since my last post. You'd think it was because I've been so busy sewing, but unfortunately that's just not the case. I got sidelined with computer problems and had to go a few days with no internet connection. What a drag! And then, once I got that under control and got back online, I started a "Home Improvement Project." I'm re-doing my two youngest sons' bedroom. We're using a John Deere theme. Brendan wants to be a farmer and loves anything to do with farming and tractors, and Bryan loves frogs, which, like the John Deere logo, are green. He also has a collection of pumpkins (not real ones) that will look nice in the new green and gold room. Hopefully, we will get the project completed this weekend.

In the meantime, since I don't have any new sewing projects to share, here is a peak into Savannah's Closet.

This is Mabel's Garden from AS&E. I fell in love with this dress the moment I saw it, shown in a pink colorway, in the magazine. I knew this fabric, which I had been saving for a special project, would be just perfect. It's a small scale floral quilting cotton in shades of purple, blue, and green on a white background, with metallic silver accents. The dress is smocked from shoulder to waist in shades of purple and white, and is accented with purple bullion roses. The rouleau around the collar and the sleeve and hem bands are attached to the dress with bridging. The collar, sleeve bands, and hem are hand embroidered with purple bullion roses, white flowers and blue bows.


Savannah wore this dress for Easter 2006 and then I entered it in the county fair in the fall of 2006 where it won 1st prize. Savannah also wore it for her school picture last year. This is one of my favorite projects ever. I think one of the reasons is all of the hand embroidery. This is the first (and so far, the last) project I have done with this much decorative handwork. This is definitely a dress I will put away for a future granddaughter. However, I think Savannah might get one or two more wearings out of it before it's time to put it away.

No comments: