Wednesday, June 27, 2012

New Look 6802 A Sleeveless Dress for Hot Summer Days

I just finished hemming NL6802 this afternoon.


This is view C, the sleeveless version with the twist front:


The fabric is a rayon jersey print I ordered from Fabric.com last summer.  I bought it with this pattern in mind.  I wanted something with a vertical stripe effect (but not an actual stripe) and this was the closest thing I could find at the time.


When the fabric arrived, it wasn't exactly what I expected.  The scale was larger and the colors were brighter than I thought they would be.  So I held off making the dress and considered several other patterns.  I convinced myself this fabric wanted to be a maxi dress, and I even went so far as to lay it out this past weekend.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough fabric.  Sigh...

So I decided to go back to plan A, and I dug this pattern out.  I'd already made it a few years ago, so the pattern pieces were already adjusted.  All I had to do was lay it out and cut.


Cutting was a bit of a hassle.  The motifs line up well vertically, but the fabric was printed crooked across the grain.  I had to choose between trying to square up the print or having a dress that hangs straight.  I decided to go for hanging straight.  I even gave up on trying to match the print at the sides or making the bodice pieces symmetrical.  I centered the print on the CF and CB, and just said the heck with the rest of it.  I think it turned out okay.  I love the way the motifs form a starburst effect at the twist.  I couldn't have planned that better.


And the back's not too shabby either.


I made a size 16.  I really should have gone down to a 14 through the bodice.  My dress is a little big on top.  I also raised the CF neckline 1 inch.  I really should have left it and gone down 1 size or just made a petite adjustment above the bust.  It doesn't help that my neckline turned out a little loose and floppy, even though I used clear elastic to stabilize it.  I think it's a combination of using the wrong size and my inexperience with the super stretchy rayon jersey.  I could take in the CF a tiny bit, but that would also raise the neckline even more and it's already bordering on dowdy.  I think I will wait until after I run the dress through the washer and dryer and see if that makes a difference.  I pre-washed the fabric, but the rayon may still shrink a bit...

I love this pattern.  It has an empire seam, but the back is cut in such a way that it clings and of course the twist overlay holds the front close to the body, eliminating much of the blousy effect that you sometimes get with an empire waist.  I've made this three times now, so I guess this pattern qualifies as a TNT.  I'll make it again, too, if the right fabric comes along.

Today is the first day of my summer vacation.  I hope to get a couple more things made before I have to go back to work.  I just pre-washed a piece of fabric that I was hoping to lay out tonight, but it looks like it didn't hold up well in the wash.  Oh, well.  I'm a wash-n-wear kind of girl and I'd rather find out now rather than after I've sewn up a whole garment and then tried to wash it.  

So back to the sewing room to look for something else to work on...

12 comments:

Catherine Daze said...

I love the effect at the bodice. What a great summer dress!

Karin said...

The diamonds look great rotating out of the front knot! Perfect fabric pattern for this dress pattern.
It's very flattering on you and I bet it is easy to wear too.

Anonymous said...

This is a great match between pattern and fabric. I have this pattern too and I'm very pleased to hear you've made it three times! Perhaps I need to work towards once...
-Sewingelle

Audrey said...

Very pretty dress and a fun print. I had not noticed the twist front version on this pattern before. It is very similar to a BurdaStyle twist front dress that a lot of bloggers are sewing. The style seems to flatters everyone. I also love the starburst effect created by your fabric.

kbenco said...

That has to be some sewing fortune there. This is such an interesting effect with the starburst front, no mere maxi dress could have turned out so well.;) How annoying about the off grain print, but you have used the fabric so well. You look terrific in this dress

DanainDFW said...

This looks great on you! The fabric is a good choice, too. Definite winner.

Dharma said...

I really like the dress. The center knot burst really is a great feature. I have this fabric. I made a cowl neck summer top. I still have some fabric left, so I may be making your dress!!

Lynneb said...

The fabric does really cool things on the bodice. Very flattering dress. Nicely done!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

wow I was just looking at that pattern in my stash but couldn't imagine it, now I see it is very cute and a great summer dress. Love it.

Rosie said...

I love it! You really made the print work!

Mel said...

Wow, that is quite an intersting effect on the front of that dress!
Hmm...now I want that pattern.

Rose said...

What a great summer dress. I also love the starburst effect. It definitely belongs in your TNT pile!