Monday, June 18, 2012

Butterick 4788 UFO Sighting

Saturday I wrapped up Butterick 4788, this cute little knit dress with mock-wrapped bodice. 


It's a Maggy London pattern- I seem to always love those- that is sadly OOP now.  I've been meaning to make it for a long time and I finally cut it out back in March, before my trip to Manila.  Yes, it's taken me 3 months to get around to finishing it, and the irony is that it only took a few hours to sew up once I got going.
                                          
 I made View A, the one on the right, with the ruched side, sleeves, and plain A-line skirt.


I used a really cool ITY knit print that I got from Fabric.com last year.  It's black with red, pink and aqua fan-like designs all over it.  The print has a kind of Asian/Art Nouveau vibe to it, which is really nice.
  

I made a size 16 with 1" of length added at the waist, and 1.25" of length added to the skirt.  I could have used a 14.  The waist is a bit loose, but the 16 was the smallest size in the envelope.  Honestly, no one will ever notice. 
 

I pretty much followed the pattern directions, except I left off the little tacked-on bow at the left side.  It seemed unnecessary to me.  I say "pretty much" because I got so caught up in sewing that I didn't pay 100% attention to the directions and instead of basting the right and left bodice pieces together at the right side seam and then stitching the side seam...  I stitched the side seams separately, and then serged the seams before I realised my mistake.
  

It's okay, though.  I just basted the two bodice halves together at the waist and then attached them to the skirt as one.  No one but me (and now you) will ever know.  I also added clear elastic to the neck edges, serged the edges, and then turned them under and top stitched with a twin needle.


I love the way the dress turned out.  It has a sort of disco vibe to it with the mock wrap bodice in the front and the back, and the full, swingy skirt.  The skirt is perfect, too.  It has just enough swish to it to make it fun to wear without being "too much."  Oh, one other little change I made was to cut the skirt back on the fold, rather than with a CB seam as the pattern called for.  I had plenty of fabric, so why not?
 

The pattern itself was pretty easy to put together.  I think one of the reasons I waited years to make this was because I thought it would be hard to make it in a knit.  That and I needed the right fabric.  But I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly and easily it went together.  I could easily see myself making this again if I needed a new dress in a hurry.
  

Yes, that's a hay bale.  It was crazy hot this afternoon and after walking all over that field in high heels, I needed to rest. 

I also finished up the Burda sheath dress this weekend.  Unfortunately, I was too hot to go change and do the photo shoot thing all over again.  And besides, the Burda dress wasn't quite as successful as this dress, so I'm saving it for another post.

How is your summer sewing going?

6 comments:

Karin said...

Another pretty dress! I like this fabric it looks current and pretty, but is a subdued enough pattern not to over whelm the wearer!

meli88a said...

That fabric is great and is perfect for the dress.

My summer sewing is coming along... I did a lot of sewing in the spring, but with the nice weather just don't want to be inside.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

You had a really good sewing weekend! This is a great dress too!

MushyWear said...

Love, love this dress! What a beautiful print. You look awesome in it!

Audrey said...

This dress looks so nice on you. A very flattering style and a great print.

Lynneb said...

Gosh, it really is a great little dress! I love how it faux wraps both front and back. It looks very nice on.