Saturday, August 30, 2008
Thursday, August 28, 2008
I am so ready to be done with this project.
I have been really good about not starting any other projects while working on the wardobe, but I am ready to move on to other things now!
I hope to have piece #4 completed tonight so I can finish this up in time to finish the contest this weekend. Getting good photos will be my biggest challenge. Well, that and making my final montage of all four outfits. Stay tuned for the final results.
Friday, August 22, 2008
And as if I don't have enough on my plate right now, the Sewing for Children Contest starts on PR on September 1st! I have really been looking forward to this contest and I have really been feeling the itch to make something new for the Princess. I need a break from all this sewing for myself!
Anyway, I need to make something special for the contest and although I haven't made a final decision, I'm thinking about this:
This is Little Asian Doll, the outfit featured on the cover of Sew Beautiful issue #112 last year. I absolutely fell in love with this as soon as I saw it and I've been itching to make it ever since. It's a square yoke top with a picture smocked insert, and full wrap over skirt, and cuffed capri pants. I've been thinking over fabric and color options to make it. I have several things in my stash that might work. But now I'm thinking about making some changes to the basic pattern. After all, the contest starts September 1st, which is Fall, and I'm not sure that a sleeveless top and capris are the way to go going into Fall. I'm thinking the pants need to be full length and the top might need little sleeves, at least caps, but probably a plain short sleeve. Hmmm...
I guess I still have some time to decide and plan. Meanwhile, work on the Wardrobe goes on.
Friday, August 15, 2008
This was the first time I've worked with an asymmetrical front and I had to make all changes to both the right and left sides. I also had to make slight adjustments to the left shoulder piece and to the facings for both of those pieces as well. I can definitely say that this is the most challenging project I've ever done fit wise. I'm feeling good about it though, and I'm hopeful that the final top will be a success. I'll know for sure this weekend.
Sunday, August 3, 2008
I made View C, the "plain" dress. I cut a size 16 through the bodice and an 18 from the hip down. It is very close fitting. I think that the cotton stretch twill that I used for this dress is what makes it comfortable and wearable. I had just enough of this fabric to cut this dress out. The waistband is supposed to be cut on the bias, but I cut it on the straight grain due to my fabric limitations. I figured it would be okay since the fabric has crosswise stretch and it was.
I had to do a one inch FBA which made the darts significantly bigger. I had quite a time sewing them and getting the bodice to lie flat with out unattractive points sticking out. I ended up making my darts longer and wider than the pattern. If I make this again, and I do have an idea for making it again, I might try adding a little less with my FBA to see if that makes the darts look better. Oh, I also moved the side dart up 1/4 of an inch.
When I started this dress, I had planned to pipe the neck band and the waist seams. Unfortunately, I got so wrapped up in sewing and thinking about my wardrobe plan, that I just attached the waistband and completely forgot about the piping. By the time I realized what I had done, I already had the lining attached and I just decided to keep going. I did pipe the neckband, and the dress is lined with the same turquoise broadcloth that I used to make the piping.