Sunday, August 3, 2008

Loose Ends

One of the loose ends I had to tie up before the Wardrobe Contest was New Look 6799. And here it is, finished at last:


I made View C, the "plain" dress. I cut a size 16 through the bodice and an 18 from the hip down. It is very close fitting. I think that the cotton stretch twill that I used for this dress is what makes it comfortable and wearable. I had just enough of this fabric to cut this dress out. The waistband is supposed to be cut on the bias, but I cut it on the straight grain due to my fabric limitations. I figured it would be okay since the fabric has crosswise stretch and it was.

I had to do a one inch FBA which made the darts significantly bigger. I had quite a time sewing them and getting the bodice to lie flat with out unattractive points sticking out. I ended up making my darts longer and wider than the pattern. If I make this again, and I do have an idea for making it again, I might try adding a little less with my FBA to see if that makes the darts look better. Oh, I also moved the side dart up 1/4 of an inch.

When I started this dress, I had planned to pipe the neck band and the waist seams. Unfortunately, I got so wrapped up in sewing and thinking about my wardrobe plan, that I just attached the waistband and completely forgot about the piping. By the time I realized what I had done, I already had the lining attached and I just decided to keep going. I did pipe the neckband, and the dress is lined with the same turquoise broadcloth that I used to make the piping.



Once again, I forgot to add length to the skirt. To compensate, I used bias tape to finish the hem. Not only did it help with the length issue, but it actually looks very nice and clean on the inside. And it was quick and easy, and that's always a plus!


This is a great pattern. It goes together quickly an deasily, the instructions are good, and you could customize this dress easily and in many ways. I have an idea for the full skirt version that involves contrast bands and top-stitching, but I have to find the fabric I have in mind first (it's "lost" somewhere in my stash) and finish the Wardrobe Contest, of course.

17 comments:

Lisa said...

You look so nice. I love the colors you chose.

Where do you buy fabric?

Shannon said...

Hi, Lisa! This fabric came from Hancock Fabrics. That's where most of my fabric comes from. Online shopping is great, but I just love going into a store and touching/seeing/smelling the fabric!

Shannon F

kbenco said...

You look fabulous. I love the piping detail. I really want this pattern now!

Vicki W said...

Very flattering!

Adrienne said...

very cute!!!

Lisa said...

Hey, Shannon. Thanks for the info. I am going to be in OKC this weekend and was fishing for info. It seems that I am always rushed when I am in a Hancocks. Therefore, I don't find such lovely fabric!

Anonymous said...

love the piping! very nice job. i'm always so impressed with the things you make for yourself!

kasizzle said...

Very flattering!
Love the print.

Anonymous said...

The attention for detail is wonderful! Great job!

tgillock said...

That is so cute. I love the colors!

Martha said...

That is beautiful. And it is very flattering. Great job.

Cennetta said...

Lovely dress, Lisa.

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

How cute is that? One of a kind masterpiece. Please move to my neck of the woods so you can mentor me!

angie.a said...

Shannon, this looks gorgeous on you! WAY better than the pattern illustration! I can't wait to see the full-skirt version (you know, after the wardrobe!)

Anonymous said...

Shannon, your dress looks fantastic! I love the fit of it and you look great in it! You chose a beautiful fabric for it too. Good luck!

Shes Flipped said...

Love your blog! You have 4 boys and 1 girl? Lucky you! How do you like living in Oklahoma compared to Savannah? I can't believe how much we have in common. I love to write, too. (Poetry, mostly) I love Queen, and alot of the same movies! But, I mostly love to sew!

Michelle said...

That fabric looks fantastic with the lining and piping. What a great dress!