Sunday, February 24, 2008

Now I've Done It

I've entered the Pattern Review Wardrobe Challenge. I decided I couldn't finish a ten piece wardrobe for myself by April 30th. Come on- I tried to make a dress for myself a few weeks ago and after three muslins I still couldn't get the fit down, so there's just no way. But I can make a ten piece wardrobe for the Princess. Okay, I'm capable of making a ten piece wardrobe for the Princess. Whether or not I actually finish all ten pieces in the allotted time remains to be seen...

Anyway, here's the storyboard:



The collection is called "Pretty in Pink and Black" and it all started with the pink and black leopard print. As I've shared before, leopard is the Princess's favorite "color." Here's how the plan breaks down so far.

Tops:

Toffee Apple from AS&E- An A-line top with tie straps and a smocked insert in pink leopard
McCalls 5306- A sleeveless cropped top with two ruffles in white pique trimmed in pink

Christy from Maja's Heirlooms- A button front top with smocked sleeves in pink microcheck and black

Haley's Halter from Sew Beautiful- A smocked halter top in pink and leopard


Bottoms:

Toffee Apple- Capri pants in black with a ruffled hem in leopard
Shorts- Elastic waist shorts in pink cotton with white dots, possibly reversible with b&w gingham
Simplicity 4147- A tiered skirt out of black cotton with white dots, trimmed in pink
Haley's Capris- Capri pants out of leopard with contrast hem in black

Dress:

Larkin by Maja's Heirlooms- An A-line dress with bishop style smocked bodice in leopard and black

Jacket:

Simplicity 3513- Short sleeve cropped jacket with round yoke and peter pan collar in pink pique

Accessory:

Purse- Pattern undetermined

Of course all wardrobe pieces are subject to change and/or substitution at my whim. This is just the "first draft." I waffle back and forth over being all excited and motivated about this big project, and feeling like I've bitten off more than I can chew. I've started on Larkin, the dress with the smocked bodice. The smocking doesn't show up so well on the pleated leopard and I'm thinking a design change is in order, but I haven't decided yet just what it should be. Perhaps it will come to me in my sleep. (Is it odd to dream about sewing?)

So, I'm off to cut. I have a lingerie bag full of ribbon and trim in the washer right now and I hope to make at least a little bit of progress this week. Maybe I can get at least the shorts cut out and maybe start putting them together tonight.

2 comments:

Juliane said...

Oh, I can't wait to see this. This is going to be adorable. And such pretty patterns and fabric!

angie.a said...

I'm so glad you joined! I am SO far behind on mine. Ugh. I'll be sewing non stop through spring break!!!