Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Never Ending Bishop Dress

I'm taking a break from the Temily pattern and I've been working on this:



I'm calling this the Never Ending Bishop Dress because the smocking has seemed to go on and on and on. I've finally finsished the actual smocking on the neck and the sleeves. If you look closely you can see where I've begun to make cable rosettes in the heart shapes along the bottom of the smocking. I'll add lazy daisy leaves to those and then I will make one large bullion rose in the center with some lazy daisy flowers and leaves on either side.

One good thing about this dress is that I decided to edge the sleeves with lace and smock them. What that means is that once all the smocking and embroidery is done and I start construction, there will be no finishing to do on the sleeves! A simple french seam from sleeve edge to dress hem will be all I have to do. No gathering, piping, or binding needed.

Sigh... I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Shannon,

It is gorgeous!!! I would love to know what smocking plate you used. I have been looking for something similar and have yet to find it....until your blog tonight. Thanks! I love seeing all the amazing creations you come up with. Your work is incredible!

angie.a said...

This is beautiful! I always hated a dense geometric on a bishop. My hand would cramp and I'd be cursing the whole last 5 rows, LOL.

Shannon said...

Cindy,

You're going to give me a swelled head! Thanks for your sweet comments, though. The smocking plate is English Rose from the book Beautiful Bishops (AS&E). The plate was designed for a 6 to 18 month sized bishop, but I added about four extra rows to make it a size two. I probably didn't need to smock so many rows, but what can I say? Sometimes I get carried away.

Angie,

You are so right! I had a couple of hand cramps myself, but I brought it on myself, right?

Shannon F

Anonymous said...

People should read this.