1. I used a fabric marker to mark the hem fold line on the wrong side of the fabric. The hem allowance was 5/8", so my line was 5/8" from the raw edge.
2. I laid the ribbon (right side up) on the wrong side of the fabric in the seam allowance, with the edge of the ribbon against the marked line.
3. I stitched close to the ribbon edge (against the line.)
4. To hide the raw ends of the ribbon, I folded the ends under, butted the folds together, and stitched across.
5. I trimmed the seam allowance narrower than the ribbon- in this case about 3/16".
6. I turned the ribbon to the right side, pressed, and stitched it down along the loose edge, encasing the raw edge between the fabric and the ribbon.
7. Voila! Ribbon trimmed edge!
Unfortunately, even though I'm quite happy with my ribbon hem, this is as far as I've gotten. You'll have to wait a bit longer to see the finished skirt.