I was drawn to this pattern as soon as I saw it. But back in 2011 I was leery of a pattern with straight lines and hardly any waist shaping. I think I liked the way the bias cut hem panels looked with the straight cut dress.
Burda said: "Our shift dress with bateau neck-line, epaulettes and bias cut hem band is timeless yet so very modern and just perfect for cocktails or a dinner date."
Burda rated this as a 2 dot pattern, and really it is just a modified princess seamed shift. But see those corners where the front, side, and under sleeve come together? Yes, it's the same on the back, too. That is not for the faint of heart. That's some precision sewing right there. I would have made this at least a 2.5 dot.
Other than those corners, the pattern is pretty easy.
Burda used natte, which according to the dictionary is a basket weave fabric with contrasting colors in the warp and weft. I didn't have any natte, so I used this pink, orange, red, and white seersucker which has been marinating in my stash for years.
I cut a 44 through the bodice and a 46 through the hips. I added my customary 1 5/8" of length at the waist. A muslin showed the fit was pretty good, but I had to move the darts up 3/8" and I added an additional 5/8" of length to the skirt to make sure the hem hit me at knee level. It looks a tiny bit longer than it really is because my photographer has grown and is now taking pictures from a higher angle.
I wanted to get some detail shots of the epaulettes, the inset corners, and the bias hem band, but wouldn't you know, my camera gave out after only three shots. Maybe tomorrow after road-testing.
I'm pretty pleased with this dress. It's comfortable and I like the look. I'll get plenty of wear out of it for work and for being out and about. I don't know about cocktails and dinner dates, though!
Up next is maybe another straight and easy dress and some more shorts for the Princess. Oh, and she wants some jeans. So I might break down and finally sew some.