Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Shift Dresses!

Lauren over at Rosie Wednesday is having a Shift Dress Sew Along!

Simplicity 3833 Sew Along

She will be using one of my favorite patterns, Simplicity 3833:


I love, love, LOVE this little retro reprint.  I've made two of these and I love them both.  Not surprising, since the shift dress is one of my all time favorite styles.  I especially love the vintage shift dresses from the 60's and 70's.  I even have a Pinterest board dedicated to "Mostly Mod Fashion Inspiration."  


I love the sleek, clean lines of the 60's shift dress.


Most of these dresses are deceptively simple, but can feature unique seaming and details which make them fabulous and timeless.



The fit is relaxed through the waist, making the dress not only flattering, but comfortable, too.


Once the 70's rolled around, the shift seemed to soften a little bit.


The dresses skimmed the waist a little more closely and there was a little more flair to the hem.



This little beauty is McCall's 2545, which I am fortunate enough to have in my collection!  I adore those cool pockets.  I plan on making this one, I'm just waiting for the right fabric and the motivation to size it down- it's a size too big through the bodice.

The shift dress is still a fashion staple today.  Here are a few picks from my "modern" fashion inspiration pins:


Chevrons- very trendy right now.


Color blocking- simple, but high impact.


Diane von Furstenburg- very chic and glamorous!  Love that beaded collar.


Linen shift with hemline detailing.


Oscar de la Renta- beautiful lace overlay.


Ralph Lauren- high impact with simple lines and gorgeous color!


Plain white shift- very similar to the vintage 60's shift dresses, and still wearable today.


Gold shift- unique seaming makes this one fabulous.


Zipper shift- a plain cut with creative zipper detailing.

So hop on over to Rosie Wednesday and check out the Shift Dress Sew Along.  You can read all about it (she has a little video, too) and decide if you want to participate.  I'm still trying to decide if I can make room in my sewing roster (and fabric buying budget!) but I'll probably succumb and join in because I can't resist a shift dress!  Especially when the pattern is so perfect (and I've already made it so no fitting issues!!!)  My first two versions of S3833 were sleeveless summer dresses in linen and cotton, so I'd love a chance to "winterize" this pattern and make it something warm, yet fashionable for the office.

But first I'm off to trace something out of the Burda January issue- my first new project of 2014!  Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Sheila said...

Loving the inspiration shift dresses. . Just maybe I will revisit shift dresses. I made a few early on in my sewing days, but the flair was too much for my frame. With a lil more sewing knowledge under my belt, I should try again with some modifications.

Angela said...

I love these inspiration pics. I am much more comfortable in dresses without a waist seam;)

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm so glad that you're joining the sew along. I'm sure you will make an amazing winter version!

Leslie said...

That sounds like such a fun sew-along! I love the look of shift dresses. They don't seem to fit my body (sadly!) but I'm kind of tempted to try one again this year.

Nanna said...

I came across that sew along & am thinking about joining in, hopeing it wont be too short as I don't care too much for mini's, just not a good look for me lol!
Helen