Thursday, January 23, 2014

Anticipation...

I haven't sewn a stitch in the last two weeks.  I've wanted to, but between the long hours at work, feeling tired in the evenings, and getting laid out flat this past weekend with a bad cold that's been lingering all week, it just hasn't happened.  Now that I think about it, I did put a few stitches in the Traveler Dress last weekend, but I felt so fuzzy headed and uncomfortable from the cold, I decided to just put it aside before I made some terrible mistake and ruined it.

I do plan to get back to that little dress this weekend.  I also received a shipment of ponte knits in the mail this week and I think my first project from that shipment will be this dress from the November issue of Burda Style:


I loved this dress on first sight.  It has that sleek sheath silhouette that I love, plus some pretty fab seaming, and a flippy little flounce at the bottom to liven things up.


It looks like it will be pretty easy to make my standard adjustments, and other than raising the neckline, it shouldn't need too much done to it.  The gorgeous dark plum ponte knit I have picked out should guarantee a pretty good fit, and comfort, too.  And the long sleeves will be very practical for my frigid office and the miserable cold we've been having here lately.  And since I'll be leaving out the center back zipper and the wrist zippers, it should be a pretty fast sew, too.  I anticipate having a new dress to wear next week.

In other news, I think I'm going to have to bow out of the Shift Dress Sew Along.  Sigh...  I was really looking forward to making a "winter/office" version of that cute pattern, but unfortunately, I just haven't found a fabric that spoke to me.  I shopped several online sites and my local Hancock's and I just couldn't find what I was looking for.  I don't want to force it.  The right fabric and the right pattern have to work together.  I've made the mistake before of settling for a fabric to go with a certain pattern, or vice versa, and it almost never turns out well.  The garment just ends up hanging in the back of the closet, never being worn.  I have too many other projects in queue to waste time making something that won't get worn.  You will see that dress again- I have a pretty, seersucker plaid earmarked for it for spring/summer.  I just don't feel like making a seersucker dress right now when it's below freezing outside.

What are your weekend sewing plans?

4 comments:

Marybeth said...

That dress is going to be really pretty!

Paola said...

I had planned to cut and sew some t-shirts this weekend, but yesterday I found some swimsuit fabric that spoke to me, so I will probably jump a Closet Case Files Bombshell to the top of the sewing queue.
That is a really nice pattern. I think I might just have to subscribe to Burda again, after I gave it up in disgust.

Juliane said...

The Burda dress should be a stunner in dark plum ponte and the sewing together should be fun, too. Can't wait to see it!

Lucia said...

Lovely dress, it is also on my to-do list. I'd love to see how yours turns out, it will motivate me to make my own.