Monday, August 15, 2011

Weekend Update

Well, this weekend there was sewing. Actually, there was some some sewing, and a lot of cutting. I like to cut things out on the weekend, when I have plenty of time to drag out the cutting board and spread my fabric, patterns, pins, and rulers out all over the living room floor. Then during the week I can just pop into the sewing room whenever I can steal a few minutes and sew a seam or two.

This weekend I had planned to cut out the Burda Style dress. Muslin #2 turned out quite nice- the only additional adjustment I decided to make was a 1/2" princess seam FBA. I am ready for the real fabric. However, I ended up changing plans at the last minute.

The princess is in dire need of new clothes for school. How is it that the clothes that seemed fine for schlepping around the house and the back yard all summer are suddenly all too short and too tight for school? Did she miraculously grow a couple of inches the night before school started? I don't know. But there is one thing I will never be accused of, and that is sending my 10 year old daughter to school dressed like a junior hoochie mamma.

So I decided to whip up a few quick skirts. The princess has lots of plain t-shirts that fit just fine, so I thought a few skirts would get us by until the weather cools down enough for jeans. I'm also hoping to delay buying new jeans as long as possible since she's growing so fast that anything I buy now will probably be too small by Halloween.
I let her select several prints from my hoard, er, I mean stash. She wanted something with fruit on it (go figure) so I showed her this yellow cherry print (Mary Englebright, I believe from Walmart,) and this blue fabric with apples, lemons, and ice cream cones. She approved of both right away. I remember buying the blue fabric to make a BSY with a smocked insert, but I just never got around to it. Sigh... The green star fabric was a cute find at Hobby Lobby several years ago.

We are using McCall's 5038, which will definitely be qualified as a TNT pattern now. Half the fun was choosing ribbon trim to use on each skirt. You know me- I can't just make something plain.

I started sewing last night- assembly line style. I hope to have these done and ready to wear by mid week.

While I was cutting out skirts for the princess, I decided to go ahead and cut one out for me, too. This stretch twill has been languishing in my stash for a few years. I've been meaning to sew it up for some time and finally decided to go with M5590, the high waist skirt that gets me so many compliments when I wear it. I think the pattern and the fabric will both compliment Burda Style 07-2010-121, which I made almost a year ago.

Don't worry. BS 07-2011-131 will be done soon. It should go together quickly and easily- especially since I've already put it together twice!

Until then, Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

sewing spots said...

You can really get a lot done with assembly line sewing! Good luck!

Can't wait to see your skirt--I love that fabric!