Saturday, May 7, 2011

Frockapalooza

The rain has stopped (for now,) the sun is out, and temperatures have begun to rise. My thoughts have been turning to bright, swingy summer dresses. I am yearning to make something with a modest neckline and a full skirt.

So I did some online window shopping and found these beautiful inspiration dresses, all from Modcloth:
Lovely. I love the crisp white fabric, the crossover bodice and the full skirt. I don't need a white dress, though. I tend to spill things like ketchup on myself.


This one is nice. I like the longer length, the contrast print, and the smooth skirt. Still not what I had in mind, though.



Oooo. Pretty floral, tiered skirt, and cool draping in front. Very romantic, but still not quite right.


Okay, now we're getting somewhere. I love the bold print, the simple sleeveless scoop neck bodice and the narrow self fabric belt. Gorgeous!



I adore this one! Same simple bodice and self fabric belt, but check out those awesome tucks in the skirt! So unusual! And the print, while softer, is beautiful- I love those colors.



This is what I'm looking for. Simple sleeveless bodice, full (but not too full) skirt, and a wild colorful print!

So what patterns am I considering for my summer frock?


Simplicity 2886 has the sleeveless bodice and midriff band and pretty pleats for shaping. The version on the model looks like it's a little more empire waisted than the drawing suggests.



New Look 6589 has been around for a while, but I just recently noticed view D with its graceful boatneck, and view E with its slight scoop neck and cut in shoulders. It has an empire waist as well, but the skirt appears to have 11 panels total, which are shaped through the waist and flare at the hips. I think this dress might work well for my figure.


New Look 6020 is brand new. It's a simple princess seamed dress with a waist seam and four neckline options. I always have better luck with princess seams- I have a hard time avoiding "pointy dart syndrome."


But the dress I'll probably try first is New Look 6723. It's been around for a while and I've had it on my to-do list for some time. It's got the boat neck that I like so much and a simple gathered skirt. The model version doesn't look too terribly full. It also has the pattern for the belt. It's also very similar to another New Look pattern that I already have had success with.

But before I start on this project, I have to finish up B5558, and I have those two Burda projects to show. Hopefully the sun will come out again tomorrow and I can get some decent photos to share.

How's your summer sewing coming along?

3 comments:

Juanita said...

Any of these would look great on you. Can't wait to see what you come up with. My summer sewing so far is a pair of shorts, finished this week, that I don't exactly love.

MushyWear said...

I sure do like the second inspiration dress, chambray with the contrast neck, waist, and pockets. This one is giving me some ideas. I think you've got three great patterns. Anyone of them would be perfect for a summer dress. I just finished a similar style, to the 4th inspiration dress, which was sort of out of my comfort zone, but I ended up really liking it. Have fun deciding! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

angie.a said...

Oh I love the 2nd dress, is that chambray? LOVE it.