Thursday, August 12, 2010

New Look 6910- Let's Do Lunch

It's over 100 degrees here in Oklahoma and I decided it was the perfect time to make one more cotton dress for the season. Say hello to New Look 6910! It has a little retro vibe going on, don't you think?
I made view D, the high neck, sleeveless version with the full skirt. I love this pattern!

This dress has a plain, princess seamed bodice (darts in back) with options for a high (boat) neck or a scooped neckline. You can make it sleeveless, or use the cap sleeve provided. There is a straight skirt, and a flared, pleated skirt, as well as a belt with several embellishment options. A cropped jacket is also included.


I used a 100% cotton print from Hancock fabrics. From afar, it may seem rather drab, but up close, I really love this print- cream, purple, agua and sage green dots on a darker olive ground. the color scheme is, in my opinion, rather retro also.
Part of the reason I love this dress so much is that I have never gotten such a great fit on a first muslin! I cut a size 16 and made a 1/2" FBA, added 1.25" of length to the bodice at the waist, and graded out from a 16 at the waist to an 18 at the hem. The fit was pretty darn good.
For the final version, I tweaked it just a tiny bit more: I folded out 1/4" across the bodice above the bust (petite adjustment), I folded out 3/8" across the upper back, I cut the pattern down to a size 14 through the neckline, shoulders, and armholes, and trimmed the skirt to a straight size 16.

The skirt has six pleats in the front and six in the back. I sewed the back pleats down to keep them lying nice and flat. (The muslin wanted to flap around a bit when I moved.) The pattern calls for lining the bodice using the same pattern pieces as the outer bodice. I used a coordinating (100% cotton) tone on tone purple print for my lining.


I used an invisible zipper and a hook and eye to close the back, and I machine stitched the lining down to the the center back seam allowances. It made a nice, clean finish on the inside.

The only major change I made constructionwise, was to make the belt as a seperate piece. The pattern calls for catching it into the CB seam, but I was afraid of extra bulk interfering with the zipper. My only dislike with this pattern is that the belt is cut on the bias. I should have listened to my gut and cut it on grain. As it is, the belt has already stretched from just one night of hanging on a hanger and being worn for 15 minutes to take photos. (You can kind of tell in the photo of the back of the dress.) I don't have enough of this fabric left to cut another one, so I will look around for a RTW belt, or maybe make a new one out of a coordinating fabric or ribbon.



Overall, I am very pleased with this dress. I have already cut another one- this time using View B (straight skirt, cap sleeves, scoop neckline) out of denim. I hope to have it completed and ready to share this weekend.
I can see this dress made in all sorts of fabrics. I can just imagine it made up for the holidays in a pretty satin or maybe silk dupioni with a little jewelled belt buckle instead of a fabric knot. If I sew it, the part invitation will come... How's that for wishful thinking?

I give this pattern an A+. If you have it in your stash, give it a go. This is going on my TNT list ASAP!

9 comments:

The Twilight Quilters Coven said...

Very cute and I love the fabric you used!

It's been warm here, too, but I'm not complaining. It will be winter soon enough.

Anonymous said...

Pretty! :) Would it be possible to rip out the belt stitches and put in a heavy fusible interfacing to get rid of the stretch? I'm still learning, so I don't know for sure that this would work, but I can't think of why it wouldn't.

Karin said...

What a flattering shape! You got a great fit from the pattern too.

gwensews said...

That dress looks wonderful on you. I love the pleates in the skirt. 100 degrees? Yikes!

Cennetta said...

Yes, Let's do lunch. The dress is pretty flattering on you.

MushyWear said...

This dress looks fantastic on you. Great print! It's so nice when a pattern works out with minimal alterations. Hang in there with the heat. Yikes!

angie.a said...

Pretty pretty pretty! I love the full skirt.

I hate invisible zippers (you know this) and one reason is the inside finishing of a lined dress/bodice/whatever. Explain /photos of your finish technique woman! That would probably motivate me to use it! :P

DanainDFW said...

So flattering! I'm going to have to get this pattern myself. I like the coral linen one from not too long ago, too.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Very cute! Cotton dresses are the best for hot weather.