Sunday, January 9, 2011

Burda Style 01-2011-133 Muslin Update

I got the muslin of the Burda Plus Dress done, and the results are positive. It was no small feat getting this thing ready to muslin. There are 14 pattern pieces to trace and add seam allowances to! That is a lot!

I cut a 44 from shoulder to waist, and graded out to the 46 at the hip. I had to add 1.25" of length to the bodice, which I did by slashing and spreading right above the waist band. Definitely check the length of the bodice if you are thinking about making this.

I did not use a zipper for my muslin. The bodice fit over my head with no problems, so I will not use a zipper for the real dress either.

For the real dress I plan to raise the neckline 1". It's really not bad as is, but since I plan to wear this to work, I figure it can't hurt to be a little more modest. Besides, the neckline is wide and I can see my bra at the corners, so raising the neckline will help take care of that little problem as well.

I might leave out the back vent. If I do, I will cut the skirt back and the back waistband on the fold. I could cut the back bodice on the fold as well, but there is some very subtle shaping to that back seamline, so I may just leave it.

I think I need to take in the waist ever so slightly, but I may wait and get the real dress basted together before I decide for sure.

I'm satisfied with the progress I've made this weekend- hopefully, I'll have a completed dress to show next weekend. The I can get back to my little mod dress for the Vintage Sewalong!

2 comments:

sewing spots said...

Congrats on your progress! Those are a lot of pattern pieces. Can't wait to see it finished.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

This dress is on my sewing list too! I am soooo in love with this enough to trace those 14 pieces from the maze that the pattern sheets have become. Can't wait to see this one made up on you!