Sunday, May 16, 2010

Burda Bubble Dress Saga Part 4

The bubble hem is done.


I actually kinda like it. I wouldn't want to have a bunch of these in my closet, but it is kind of fun.


I think I need a little bit more length to the skirt. I like my hems to hit me at mid-knee.


Unfortunately, I got only negative comments from my family. "That looks like a clown dress." "What's wrong with the bottom?"


I can't help but wonder if the fabric is influencing their opinions. Let's face it, the fabric is loud and it's a little bit stiffer than the fabric I've chosen for the actual dress. In case you're curious, here's a (rather dark) pic of the intended fabric:


It's a really nice, soft cotton. I bought it at Joann's in the quilting section, but it's a little bit thinner (notice how you can see through it) and drapier than most quilting cottons. I plan to line it with pink batiste.

Right now, however, I think I need a break from this dress. I'd almost love to just work on something completely different for a while, but I'm afraid if I do, this will become a UFO and never get done. Maybe I should just press on.

I can't get too far, though. I need a pink zipper and enough pink batiste to line it in order to get this dress completed.

So, what say you, tasteful readers? Yay or nay on the bubble hem?

8 comments:

Rose said...

The jury is still out about my qualifications as a "tasteful reader". IMHO, I like the dress better without the bubble. I agree with you about the length. I think a little longer would look better. I do like your version with the sleeves. The sleeveless version looks good also. Hey, it's summer!

Shannon said...

I have to agree with Rose. The non-bubble version was quite fetching on you. But, I'm not a huge bubble dress fan (too many 80s flashbacks - yikes!), so take my opinion with a huge grain of salt.

I really like the fabric though - so fun and summery!

Sophie Miriam said...

I like both the bubble version and the non-bubble version. I think I very slightly prefer the non-bubble version, but I think they are both fine.

Sophie
filasewphie.blogspot.com

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

I'm not a fan of bubble dresses or skirts but I have to say I like it on you. I seems fun to me. As far as the fabric goes I love the bright batik look. Can't wait to see it in the lighter weight fabric :)

Branka said...

I like the dress better without the bubble, and with a bit longer hem. Looking forward to see the real version on you :)

Karin said...

I think the strong colours are putting people off.

I like it, I agree it would be better 2 inches longer. I think the bubble dress will look better in your intended fabric both because of the difference in texture and pattern and colour. I would like to see this dress made up in your intended fabric.

Anne L said...

Without the bubble hem! It was much more flattering and made your legs look nicer.

CarolAnn said...

Oooo I love it! I think the non bubble hem is better but that is me. I love the print of the fabric also. I am one who loves all the busy bright prints.

Looking forward to your next project :)