Not to muddy the waters or anything, but I went back to my "quick and dirty" muslin and slapped some sleeves on it just to see how they would look and feel.
I kinda like them. Much to my surprise. They even feel okay. The cuffs (which I cut much longer than Burda instructed) look a little bit tight in the photos, but I think that's because I didn't even trim the seam allowances before taking the pictures.
I do think they need a little bit more length- they almost look like they're pulling up on the outside of my arm. I think I'd like the band to be more horizontal. That should be an easy fix, though.