Sunday, August 7, 2016

Burda Style 03-2016-104 Asymmetric Blouse

This top rolled out of the sewing room today.  It's the "Asymmetric Blouse" from the March issue of Burda Style, and I love it.


I've been telling myself for a while now that I need to make more tops instead of dresses all the time.  And every Friday when I wear jeans to work I find myself wishing I had something to wear besides a company logo T-shirt.  Or my "Everything is Awesome" T-shirt.  Last weekend I decided to trace this pattern out and give it a go.  I'm so glad I did, because this is just what I needed in my wardrobe.


Here is what Burda had to say about this pattern:  This simple blouse features three quarter length sleeves, darts for a feminine fit and an asymmetric hem that is a bit longer in the back than in the front.


There is not a whole lot to it.  It's a very simple pattern to put together.  The sleeves are cut straight and finished by machine.  The hem is finished with a narrow machine hem also and the neckline is finished with a narrow bias binding.  I left off the front slit.  I really didn't want to bother with it, and I felt the neckline was already wide and didn't need to open any further.  There are no closures and the top fits easily over my head.


The main design feature is the deep pleat in the back which opens out to give the top some swing.  Here is a closeup:


My fabric is a rayon challis print from deep in my stash.  It originally came from Hancock's and was left over from a dress I made a few summers ago.  I love the colors and the print and the challis is breezy and comfortable.  It wasn't bad to work with for this simple design and it gave me a chance to experiment with the variable pressure of the presser foot on my new sewing machine.  I lightened the pressure just a bit and the challis sewed beautifully, even on the bias parts.


I cut a size 42 through the shoulders and a 44 from the bust down.  I made a 3/8" petite adjustment above the bust and removed about 3/8" of ease from the back of the sleeve cap.  I narrowed the shoulders by about 3/4" on each side in the front and by about 3/8" on each side in the back.  (A muslin showed me that the shoulders were a little wide for me and the neckline didn't cover my bra straps.)  I also added 2 inches of length at the waist to make sure the hem in front adequately covered my waistband.

I wore this out tonight and it was comfortable and made me feel sort of dressed up.  I can definitely see myself making this again.  The Princess likes the cropped version of this pattern and I'd love to make her one as well.  I'm thinking I need a slim black skirt to wear with this.  We'll see...

6 comments:

Valerie said...

Love your top. I've had my eye on this pattern and now i am definitely going to make it.

Nancy D said...

This is lovely! The hem hits at just the right spot in front. The back pleat gives it some swing, but it looks nice and trim from the front. Great idea to leave off the slit neckline, it's very elegant as you've made it.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

you are making all the patterns that I've been contemplating lately - which is great. This looks so good, and I know just what you mean about making tops as they are more wearable than dresses all the time. Like the hem a lot, not too long just right.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You used the perfect fabric with the perfect pattern to get a perfect top. You should definitely make loads more of these!

Shannon said...

Thanks for all the kind comments, y'all!

fadanista.com said...

I love this top - it's perfect with jeans. I may need to investigate.