Thursday, June 27, 2013

Stepping Outside of My Comfort Zone

The success of my last project, the Palm Tree Shift Dress, got me to thinking about another shift dress pattern.  I've been planning to try this little number since last year, when it was featured in the June 2012 issue of BurdaStyle.  

Planning... but not actually sewing.


I was instantly drawn to this dress.  I don't really know why, because it's not really me.  Know what I mean?  I'm a curvy girl with short, heavy, arms and legs.  I've always felt that I needed to stick to more fitted designs with waist shaping- even if it's relaxed waist shaping.  Straight dresses like this one should be left to slim, tall women with long legs.  Like the model above.

Still, there's just something about this dress.   Maybe it's those deep pleats at the neckline.  

Who am I kidding?  It is those deep pleats at the neckline.

I wondered if I could make this work for me.  Burda shows this dress made up in "Herringbone," which I'm assuming is a woven fabric.  I figured a knit would work better for me.  I'd get stretch and nice drape, which I think is key to making a dress like this work on anyone.  I have to admit, though, I pictured this in my head all along with a belt.  


I traced the pattern Sunday evening and made all my standard adjustments.  Then I made a quick and dirty muslin.  I just needed a couple more fine tuning changes, and now I'm ready to cut my fabric. 

Even though I've wanted to make this dress for a year, I think it's my satisfaction with my last project which has pushed me over the edge and made me actually start working on it.  I'm still a little surprised that the Palm Tree Dress turned out so well and I actually really like the way it looks on me.  It's also made me think about all those projects I've passed on that maybe could have worked for me if I'd only given them a try.

Has anyone else out there ever stepped outside their comfort zone and made something completely different than what they're used to making or wearing?  And had it turn out great?  Or not?  Please share your experience.

2 comments:

Angela said...

The more I sew, the more adventurous I am becoming. The worst thing that can happen is you won't like it, and the best thing is it might be fabulous (like your last dress:).

Karen Baking Soda said...

I'm always drawn to those shapes as the one above... tried some... and I was never happy. I'll leave it to my friend to wear these shapes, we wear the same size but she is straight with long legs, and I'm a real pear with heavy hips and legs.

But maybe you're right and with the drape of jersey you can make this work! (I'm afraid it would make me look like a bowling pin ;-D)