Sunday, July 31, 2011

Simplicity 2369- Bees Like It

Another knit dress on another hot day. At least there are a few clouds today.
This is Simplicity 2369, View B, with the ties from View A/C.



Simplicity doesn't give any description other than "Misses' knit dress in two lengths..." I would describe it as a knit dress with a wrap-over bodice that ties at the side of the waist and raglan sleeves.


This pattern was easy peasy. There are six pattern pieces including the neck facing/binding. I love raglan sleeves, too, because I don't have to worry about getting the shoulder seam in the right place. I think the wrap-over bodice is quite flattering, and you get the look of a "wrap dress" with a one piece skirt- no wardrobe malfuntions to worry about.


I cut a straight size 16 and made no adjustments, other than adding 2" at the hem. However, I did end up taking the sides in about 3/8" all the way down, and even a little more than that at the waist. If I were to make this again, and I might because it was so easy to put together and because I'm quite pleased with it, I would go down to a size 14 and I would add 1" of extra length through the waist. I feel like the wrap and the waist tie sit a little bit too high on me. I'm sure no one but me will ever notice, but that's the great thing about making my own clothes- I can make them exactly the way I want them.



The one change I did make was in the order of construction. Simplicity would have you sew the side seams partially, add the sleeves, finish the neckline and then go back and finish the sides. I realized that would prevent me from having one long, finished side seam on each side. So I sewed the sleeves to the back and the fronts, sewed the shoulders, finished the neck and the sleeve edges, and then sewed and finished (serged) the side seams all in one pass. It worked perfectly.


Once again, I used an ITY knit from Fabric.com. This one is black with pink, orange, yellow, and white dots. I love it- pink/orange/yellow is one of my all time favorite color combos, and who doesn't like dots?


Apparently bees like the color combo, too. Either that, or this fabric looks like flowers to them. A poor, confused little bee took quite a liking to this dress in the parking lot at my favorite book store. My kids were quite hysterical, shouting, "Mom! There's a BEE on you!" I shooed it away, but I'm sure between the shrieking kids and finding out that those "flowers" were merely dots on fabric, the poor bee was quite traumatized.




Here's today's manicure. This is Orly Flirty, a bold, creamy "Barbie" pink with subtle shimmer that dries to a satin finish. I love this color! I had a rough morning and I put this on to make myself feel better. Who can't smile when wearing a pink this rich and gorgeous? Unfortunately, the formula on this is awful. I used this once before and was put off by the thickness of it. So today I thinned it. And thinned it. And thinned it some more. I never did get it to just the right consistency. Luckily, it covers well, dries pretty fast, and looks nice, otherwise I'd have tossed it because of the application issue. This is two coats (I couldn't have done another- it was too much of a headache) and one coat of topcoat.


I'm hoping that the clouds and rain we've had over the weekend mean that this oppressive heat is beginning to relent. I've actually been thinking about fall sewing lately and I think it's because subconsciously I'm wanting cooler weather. In any case, stay tuned for a muslin report of Burda Style 07-2011-131, which might be my next project, if I can get the kinks worked out of it, namely the obscene neckline.

Until then, happy sewing, and stay cool!

9 comments:

Linda L said...

Great looking dress! I have this pattern and some day may get around to making it. Yours looks very flattering.

Chris said...

A great dress! It is very flattering, and I love the fabric.

Amy Bailes said...

I love your dress - yes to being able to make the waist/ties where you want them!

Unknown said...

After just suffering a failed project, your positive review of this pattern makes my day! I am going to pull this pattern from my stash and putt on top of the to-do list!

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

Love the pattern, love the print and the mani!! Another beautiful dress!

gMarie said...

this is another great dress. You have so (sew) been inspiring my to sew list lately. Thank you. g

Rose said...

This is another great dress, Shannon. The nail polish looks perfect with it! You are so sensitive to the bee. I bet he was traumatized - glad he/she didn't sting you.

Linda said...

I love this pattern. I have made 3 tops with it, with no alterations. I'm going to have to try the dress. You look adorable.

DanainDFW said...

Very flattering - great length for you.