Saturday, February 14, 2009

Flounced Skirt Times Two!

Let me take just a second to thank everyone who commented on the pink military dress and on the blue flounced skirt. Thanks! It means a lot to me that y'all take the time to check out what I'm doing and leave me a comment. You guys rock!

And thanks for the comments on the quilt top, too. Several people suggested that white might not be such a good choice for the binding. I know y'all are right, it's just that the quilt featured in the pattern photo looks so good with the white border. Believe me, I know that it will most likely end up looking dingy and showing wear. So I'm considering several other options. I'm getting ahead of myself though. I still need to piece the back and get the thing quilted! When the time comes for the binding, I will probably audition several choices and ask y'all for input.

Now, on to the skirt. Here is BWOF 11-2008-104 again, in brown moleskin:


I used the size 46 pattern again with no adjustments. The only changes I made were to topstitch the princess seams and the seams that join the flounces to the side panels:

I also hemmed this one just a smidge shorter (as suggested by an anonymous comment-Thanks!) and I made the elastic in the back waistband just a tad more snug. I wore it to work already this week and it was very comfortable.

I love the moleskin fabric in this. It's heavier and more substantial than the blue fabric of the previous skirt, and yet it still has good drape. It also has a wonderful satiny finish to the wrong side which feels great against the skin and practically eliminates the need for a slip. (I'm a die-hard slip wearer!)


I do want to make this again sometime this spring using cotton prints. For now, however, I'm moving on to these:

BWOF 01-2009-132



BWOF 01-2009-113


I've already done a quick and dirty muslin of both skirts and I'm almost ready to cut into my fashion fabric! I'll be working on these this weekend, and sharing the process as I get them done. Wish me luck!

12 comments:

Myra said...

Love it in moleskin. I havewanted to try using it, but shied away.

Lisa said...

You look great. A very nice job on the skirt.
I like the tops you've put with it!

Julia said...

I want that skirt!

Shannon said...

Thanks, y'all! Myra, the moleskin is pretty easy to work with. My only complaint, and it's really minor, is that it's a little tiring to cut it out when your fabric is doubled. It gives your cutting hand a workout!

Meg said...

I love it, it looks great!

Shannon said...

No, you rock!! Project Runway here you come...

Shannon said...

Sorry....

P.S.

White will look great! Quilts are meant to be used and bindings can always be replaced.

Anonymous said...

oh, I love this! Great job on this skirt. It looks so professional. I love the topstitching. Hey, you are looking really good, have you lost some weight? Now, I may have to get this skirt for summertime. I love doing matching things with Sydney.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

I made a skirt in moleskin over the weekend too! My issue is that it is very wrinkle-prone. Any tips?

Can't wait to see the high-waisted skirt. It's definitely on my list!

Cennetta said...

Oh I like that skirt. Very flattering!

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

I love the brown even more than the blue. Great job!

Anonymous said...

hi ...ur works r really great.as iam looking for the smocking details i saw ur blog .ur smocking is really fantastic.i loved that red frock .i want to do that for my girls.i have a doubt that can i make the pleating with normal sewing machine?because in india we can not get that pleating machine.