Homestead Sampler is done! I put the last stitch in it last night so it was finished on Thanksgiving Day.
Here is a look at the entire sampler. It was stitched on 28ct. Antique White linen with DMC floss. I have not yet pressed it or stretched it, so there are a few wrinkles and hoop marks.
The pattern is charted almost entirely in cross stitch with just a tiny bit of backstitching and a handful of Algerian Eyelets. I don't much care for cross stitching all by itself, so I had to change up a few things along the way. Here is a look at the pattern cover. Apparently I bought this on clearance at a Michael's at some point many years ago. I can't remember now, but it's been a long time since I have been to a Michael's store
I do like a few of the other designs in this book, especially the ones on the back cover:
Who knows? I may stitch up another one of these some day. In any case, I chose the Homestead Sampler because it had a house on it and I like stitching little houses. I also liked the color palette- teal, green, and gold. It's a little bit different than what I normally work with, but I thought it was pretty. I also thought that I could easily change some of the elements from cross stitch to something more exciting.
I changed the large flowers from cross stitches to satin stitches:
The date, 1989, is our wedding anniversary- when we established our "homestead." The initials are mine and the husband's and use the letters from the alphabet at the top.
The row of brown Smyrna Crosses was originally charted as cross stitches. I thought they looked dull and felt they would be dull to stitch, so I changed them. Smyrna Crosses are one of my favorite stitches. They are easy to make, but wonderfully dimensional.
I also changed the acorns and the leaves on the row below the initials to satin stitch. Not only does it mix it up a bit and add interest, but the satin stitches have a nice sheen to them that adds a little something to the finished piece.
If I had to do this over again I would make a few more changes:
1. Use a 32 ct. fabric, possibly with a touch of color to it.
2. Eliminate the top row of cross stitches and just start with the alphabet- the green stitches aren't really needed.
3. Use more satin stitches- on the roof of the house, the teal borders around the initials, and possibly the gold row below the house. I actually tried satin stitch on the teal border, but couldn't get the coverage I like on the 28 ct. fabric.
4. Sub in some hand dyed fibers- for the house, the bunny, the bird, and maybe some of the foliage.
But all that would be if I had to do it again. Let's be honest, I won't. There are too many other interesting projects to do. In fact, I've already pulled out two Christmas themed UFOs and some fabric and fibers for one last fall themed piece.
Aaaand New Look 6469 is patiently waiting in the sewing room for a neckband and hems. It will be the perfect dress to wear back to work after all this Thanksgiving food!