Saturday, August 23, 2014

McCall's 3037 Pattern Story

I was surfing the web this morning and came across this awesome blast from the past, McCall's 3037:


I made this pattern back when I was in high school.  I think I was about 15, so it would have been the summer of 1984.  And I thought I was super fabulous in this!

Looking back, the amazing thing is that I knew absolutely nothing about fitting.  I just picked a size and made the shorts... and they fit just fine.  That would never happen today.  In addition, I decided for some reason that I didn't want shorts, so I lengthened the pattern to capri length (my first attempt at pattern alteration.)

I made the pants, which closed with velcro on either side of the front waist, and the camp shirt with buttons.  My fabric was similar to the pink fabric in the drawing or in the photo below- but it had a white background with "comics" on it in very 80's shades of pink, blue, and lavender.  My lining was pink broadcloth which showed at the hems, pockets and waistband, and the cuffs of the sleeves.  I seem to recall wearing my shirt tucked in because even back then I was conscious of trying to accentuate my waist.  And I accessorized this wild look with a pair of big earrings and some gladiator sandals.  I wish I had a picture.

It looks like McCall's also did a special release of this pattern, P970, which featured live models on the cover instead of drawings.


I love the girl in pink, but that poor boy in the blue shorts on the right just looks... ridiculous.  Why is his shirt hiked up?  And is it just me or does the contrast waist of his short make him look like he's standing there in his underwear?  And that headband is not helping anything.  Gosh, I love the 80's!

Did anyone else out there make this gem?  Or something similar?  Please share your story!

No comments: