Saturday, December 17, 2011

I Got Nuthin'

I got nuthin' in the way of sewing, that is. I haven't touched a needle, a pair of scissors, not even a piece of tracing paper all week. I haven't even picked up that poor little cross stitch ornament. There has been so much drama going on around here with the kids, that there just hasn't been a moment to spare on sewing or crafty projects. I'm lucky I found the time yesterday to do my nails.

Since I don't have any sewing related stuff to share, I thought I'd show my "Christmas" mani. This is kind of a departure for me. Usually I don't go for very light colors on my nails. And it doesn't get any lighter than white, right? I also don't like VNL (visible nail line.) But somehow, this mani has both and it doesn't bother me at all. Must be the Christmasiness of it.



I started with 3 coats of Orly Winter Wonderland, a frosty, shimmery white, with a sort of "lumpy" visual texture to it- like clumps of snow. I can't really think of a better word than that. The formula itself is great- no lumps or clumps. It flows right onto the nail and dries quickly. It is sheer, though, as I suspected it would be, hence the 3 coats. I just picked this up at Sally Beauty last week and it had a "New" collar on the bottle, but it looks like it may have been around since last Christmas.



After the 3 coats of Winter Wonderland, I added one coat of China Glaze Party Hearty, also from last year.



Party Hearty is a clear polish with large round red glitter, medium green glitter, and small silver glitter. It is very Christmasy. The silver glitter blends right into the white background and you can't really see the glitter itself, but the sparkle is definitely there.



Like a lot of glitter polishes, Party Hearty was finicky to apply. The glitter wanted to clump a little bit and cling to the brush, but with a little bit of patience and careful placement, I was able to get decent coverage.



After Party Hearty dried, I finished up with one coat of Revlon Quick Dry Topcoat. Even though my nails are white, and I can see VNL at certain angles, I'm still quite tickled with this. The red and green glitter against the sparkly white is eye catching and very Christmasy without being over the top. It makes me think of candy canes without being literal. I hope it lasts a few days. I might have to do this mani again for the big day next weekend.

Now that my nails are done, I'd love to sew. I do have a couple of UFOs that need attention, but I might take a look around and see if I can find an easy "instant gratification" sewing project instead. Or maybe I'll just try to finish the cross stitch ornament.

Happy Holiday Sewing!

No comments: