Monday, November 21, 2011

New Look 6079 One Pattern, Two Skirts

I just love getting my money's worth. And making two items from one pattern is a great way to do it. I picked up NL 6079 last week. I was looking for another NL pattern when this skirt caught my eye. It's from the latest batch of new patterns, but somehow I missed it until last week.
I fell in love with view D, the model version, but I also really liked View C, the orange skirt in the upper right corner. I made a run to Hancock's a couple of days after picking up the pattern and found some fabrics I thought would work.

I started with view C, using a grey, tweedy suiting with a herringbone weave and slubby texture. It's 100% poly, but it feels nice, and best of all, it washed and dried beautifully

The skirt is a basic A-line with princess seams, a narrow yoke, and a side zipper. The pattern does not give instructions for a lining, but I added one. The main fabric is very textured and I didn't want to worry about it clinging to my tights/hose. I used a "no cling" lining fabric, also from Hancocks, and used the skirt pieces to cut it.



I cut a 16 waist and tapered to an 18 at the hips. Based on the finished pattern measurements, I thought this would work fine. Unfortunately, the skirt turned out a little bit loose. It's supposed to be worn one inch below the waist, but I feel like it's just hanging on my hips. In fact, the sweater hem is just barely covering the top of the skirt.



I didn't like the way it looked with the sweater tucked in- most of my tops aren't long enough to stay tucked into such a low waist, and I don't think it's a flattering look for me. But it looks okay with an untucked top, and I might try running some elastic through the back waist to see if I can snug it up a little bit.



The one design detail on view C is the faux pocket flaps. There are no pockets- the flaps are simply caught into the front seams. These are second string buttons, too. I picked out some really pretty black buttons with silver etching, but for some reason, I only bought two. As soon as I get back to Hancock's to pick up another pair I'm going to switch them out.


Since I wasn't completely pleased with view C (hanging too low on my hips) I decided to make a change with view D.




I went down one size and cut a 14 waist and tapered to a 16 at the hips. This skirt sits perfectly at my waist. It's not exactly how it was intended to be worn, but I like it.



For this second version, I used a mystery fabric that I found on a sale table. There was no fabric content or description on the bolt end, but it looks like some sort of gray denim. It has a slight stretch to it and it washed well. I thought I needed a fabric with a little bit of crispness to it to hold the pleats on this one and it seems to work.




I love the pleats. And the six buttons, which give the skirt a military vibe.





I like these buttons, but I may end up switching them out. They're shank buttons and they tend to droop a little bit. I'm wondering if a flat button would work better.




The pattern was well drafted and it went together perfectly. Both of these views were pretty quick to assemble. If you need a quick skirt, I highly recommend NL 6079. I might even make it again sometime myself.


12 comments:

MushyWear said...

Thanks for highlighting this pattern. I hadn't seen it yet. Both skirts look superb on you. Light gray and dark gray - you'll get so much mileage out of them in your wardrobe. I love the military details of the second skirt!

Karin said...

Both look good, but I can see that your second, tighter version has the edge. This looks like a great skirt to have in your closet.

Andrea said...

This is too funny! I just bought this pattern and fabric very similar to your View C this weekend. I'm going to look like a copycat. Thanks for the heads up on the sizing. I prefer mine at the waist, too.

Eileen said...

Great pattern and so flattering on you! I may need to get this one for me!

Mary Nanna said...

I also love pleats so might pick this up next time!

I have given up sewing commercial patterns now and only sew from Ottobre or Burda. I find the unpredictable amount of ease added really annoying. I know with Burda it will be only about an inch or two at the most - and from there I now exactly how much I need to add! Ottbore is the same predictable fit. With so many variables in the mix, I don't want fit to be one of them!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I'm in the market for a non-boring A line skirt--this just might fit the bill. Thank you for the tip on sizing!

Sheila said...

Both skirts look great on you and the color choices will make for heavy rotation in your wardrobe.

gwensews said...

Both are terrific skirts. Great wardrobe builders!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Both are great skirts! That pattern was a good bang for your buck!

Lori said...

I love both skirts! I found you by googling the pattern number and love the way these turned out. Pretty much exactly what i'm looking for.

two birds said...

they are both amazing, but i love the second look the best! the pleats and added buttons are amazingly perfect!

Cennetta said...

Shannon, Both skirts are very nice. But I like view D the best. Nice job!