Sunday, January 22, 2012

February Burda- My Faves

This past week has been one of the most difficult I have experienced in a long time. There has been no time or energy for sewing or sewing related activities. I haven't touched my machine or my needlework project since last Sunday. The one bright spot all week was the (early) arrival of the February issue of Burda Style. Sheesh! And I haven't even made a thing from the January issue.

Anyway. The February issue is usually a good one for me. And I wasn't disappointed this year. I have to say my top pick from this issue is the asymmetrical color blocked dress: I absolutely love it and I have to have it! I prefer the color blocked version, but the solid version is pretty, too. Unfortunately Burda shows it in black and the zig zag seaming is all but invisible. I would prefer a lighter color to show off the pieces.

There is also a skirt with the same seaming:

I love this one, too. It's knit, so you could probably leave off the exposed zip if you preferred.


I also like this little Asian inspired dress. The magazine shows it in black with gold trim, but I wonder how it would look in a print.



I was surprised to find one of my favorite projects in the plus section, which is devoted to bridal fashions this month. But this little dress is just too perfect:


I love the front and back seaming. It's a simple shape, but that seaming just kicks it up a bit. This would be the perfect dress for spring going into summer. It's even shown with a coordinating little jacket:

I thought the Color Blocking feature was pretty, but none of the garments really grabbed me until I took a second look at this jacket:


It looks feminine and pretty and would make a nice alternative to a more structured jacket.

And I have to give an honorable mention to this dress. I would never make it for myself- the boxy cut would make me look like a fire hydrant- but I absolutely love the coral dress paired with the aqua green shoes!

So, there you have it. My favorites from the latest Burda. Unfortunately, it will probably be a while before I can make any of them.


My current project, the knit dress from the 11/2008 issue, is almost done. I still need to finish the sleeves and the hem and then wrangle a photographer to take some pics for me. The way things are going, though, it might be next weekend before I get around to it.


In the meantime, Happy Sewing to you, and may your bobbin thread never run out in the middle of a seam!

3 comments:

Karin said...

I like the colour blocking dress too. Not sure I'll ever make it, but I do like it.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I think that asymmetrical dress is going to be hot! I'm sure that quite a few more versions of it are going to show up before the month is over because it is so eye-catching and appealing.

MySummerTouch said...

I love this plus sized dress too! burda makes me envy of those pluse sized dresses almost every time when it is not publish potato sack dresses! I almost regret that I'm not a plus size! Can't bring myselg to grade them down, though!