I think this is the sixth time I've made this and I'm still learning and tweaking it. For this version, I used the wide gathered sash and double skirt bound with bias strips just like the original Cherry Blossom:
I also, after five other versions, finally decided to interface the front bands. It's really not necessary, but it really helped stabilize the bands, especially at the bottom where the heavy gathered sash tries to pull it out of shape. To do something different, I decided to leave the mandarin collar off of this version. the Princess approves.
Here's the big bow in the back:
And here's a closeup of the double hems:
The Princess and I both love this version. The dot fabric and the coordinating stripe were bought at Joann's several years ago with just this dress in mind. The aqua swirl print came from my local quilt store and it was a happy coincidence that it went with these fabrics so well. All qualify as stash fabric since they've been stored in a plastic tub here at my house for over a year. Over several years, in fact.
Now that this project is wrapped up, I am back to work on the BWOF trench coat. I got past the shoulder tabs- the detail that was stalling me- and I am making active progress again. I've told myself I have to finish it before I start the next project, which will be a spring dress for me, so I should have a trench coat to show you soon!